Planning consultant providing a comprehensive planning service

When I am contacted regarding the possibility of obtaining planning consent to extend a property, my first thought is ‘what type of planning consent is applicable? Is it a full planning application or can the intended works be carried out under permitted development rights?’  If I believe that the work can be carried out as permitted development, I always recommend that they should apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development as this will provide written confirmation from the Local Planning Authority that this assumption is, in fact, correct and removes the possibility of an embarrassing and expensive enforcement action at a later date.

If I consider any scheme may be contentious, I will discuss with the Client whether there is a need to submit a pre-planning application to the Local Authority in order to obtain their initial advice prior to submitting a full planning application in order to save time and unnecessary expenses.

Unfortunately, Clients often get confused as not every property is subject to identical Local Authority planning policies.

Planning is a very complex subject.  The Planning Policies are set out in the Local Authorities District Plan.  For example, it is generally much easier to obtain planning permission and extend a property in an urban location than, say, a property within the Green Belt where many more stringent planning policies are applied.

I continue to be amazed by the number of people who buy a house and although possibly aware that the property is within the Green Belt, they are totally oblivious of the planning restrictions and their ability to significantly extend the property.

Once we have agreed the scheme to be submitted, as your agent, I will prepare the necessary plans for submission to the Local Planning Authority on your behalf.

You will need to apply for listed building consent if either of the following cases apply:

  • you want to demolish a listed building;
  • you want to alter or extend a listed building in a manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest

You may also need listed building consent for any works to separate buildings within the grounds of a listed building.  Check the position carefully with the Council – it is a criminal offence to carry out work which needs listed building consent without obtaining it beforehand.

I would prepare a Heritage Statement in respect to the individual property on your behalf.